Job Title: Coordinator, Education Programs
Supervisor: Executive Director
Status: Full-time (40-hours per week)
Application Deadline: June 14, 2021
- Promotion & Outreach: conduct awareness-raising activities, outreach, and client recruitment into AFAHO’s programs by having a presence at various community events and spaces that are highly populated by African and Afro-Caribbean immigrants and refugees.
- Case Management: accompany and advocate for clients as they navigate the health, education, and public benefits systems to gain access to services they need. Conduct thorough assessments and regular follow-up with a high-needs caseload, and implement a plan of care for each case. Make appointments, coordinate transportation, and conduct follow up with health and other offices to ensure proper care is received.
- Community & Individual Education: organize and facilitate a variety of health and other workshops for community members and subsequently connecting clients to relevant resources to address client needs.
- Coordinates and supervises the day-to-day activities of program facilitators, interns and volunteers. • Maintains & expands effective collaborative relationships with external partners (schools, orgs, etc.) • Facilitates the design and implementation of program goals and objectives.
- Tracks and documents program sessions with sign in sheets, detailed notes, photos, & any other means deemed appropriate.
- Coordinate all aspects of education programs, including daily logistics and scheduling • Leads evaluations of facilitators and interns.
- Serves as liaison between education program facilitators and AFAHO management staff. • Monitor program activities and review, prepare and submit program reports.
- Manage education program WhatsApp groups.
- Performs accurate data collection for education programs in AFAHO’s data management system. • Collect invoices from program facilitators and present for payment.
- Seek external collaborators and resources for education programs.
- Represent AFAHO at external meetings, committees and events.
- Assist in recruitment of new students, maintains waitlists and manages intake processes. • Monitors attendance and follows up with students who miss class or have outstanding needs, connecting students to appropriate case managers at AFAHO as needed.
- Reviews ESL Teacher lesson plans on a regular basis and provides feedback prior to implementation • Quality assurance: student feedback surveys, questionnaires, observes sessions periodically • Attends stakeholder meetings as required
- Conducts outreach/recruitment activities, maintains waitlists and manages intake. • Monitors attendance and follows up with students who miss class or have outstanding needs • Develops lesson plans and activities in alignment with program goals and themes. • Coordinates and organizes guest speakers, field trips, and other learning opportunities for the students.
- Attends stakeholder meetings as required.
- Quality assurance: student feedback surveys, questionnaires
- Plans other workshops and community training events as requested.
- Conducts outreach and promotional activities to raise awareness about AFAHO among target population and recruit program participants.
- Reports on activities and manages program data (attendance, quality assurance measures, program schedule/calendar)
- Monitors and manages supplies for educational programs according to budget.
- Upholds child safety best practices, internet safety protocols, confidentiality, and culturally sensitive behaviors always.
- Maintain knowledge of current best practices in Youth and Family Programming • Maintains a positive work environment and sets an example of conduct and professionalism for interns and volunteers.
- Provide photos, stories, and other materials about education programs for promotional activities.
- Professional and educational background in education/teaching preferred.
- Professional experience in program coordination and implementation required.
- Clearance to work with children and willingness to undergo a background check required.
- Professional or personal experience working with multicultural, multilingual, and marginalized populations required.
- Some experience of participating in and running youth programs beneficial.
- Proven ability to successfully manage multiple tasks and projects at the same time required.
- Ability to relate to young people AND keep a professional distance required.
- A self-starter with strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and public speaking skills.
- Must be grounded and organized and yet flexible and open to the changing demands of a small organization.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends.
- Willing to step into tasks as needed and requested by AFAHO management.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Proven ability to work independently, problem solve creatively, and coordinate teams.
- Supervisory Experience preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance; talk or hear. The employee will occasionally climb stairs; stoop; kneel; crouch or crawl; taste or smell.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Operate related office equipment and use necessary tools.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include frequent reading and close vision; distance vision; color vision; peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Although work is primarily indoors, you will be required to travel outside to client and community locations.
- Travel in and around AFAHO’s service delivery area to support delivery of services to clients.
- Position may require occasional trips to attend conferences seminars, and meetings.
- Certain visits or work-related appointments might be scheduled outside of traditional work hours as necessary.
AFAHO’s management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
AFAHO is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief, or veteran status.