Job Title: Cultural Health Navigator
Report To: Health Manager & Social Services Manager
- Promotion & Outreach: conduct awareness-raising activities, outreach, and client recruitment into AFAHO’s programs by having a presence at various community events and spaces that are highly populated by African and Afro-Caribbean immigrants and refugees.
- Case Management: accompany and advocate for clients as they navigate the health, education, and public benefits systems to gain access to services they need. Conduct thorough assessments and regular follow-up with a high-needs caseload, and implement a plan of care for each case. Make appointments, coordinate transportation, and conduct follow up with health and other offices to ensure proper care is received.
- Community & Individual Education: organize and facilitate a variety of health and other workshops for community members and subsequently connecting clients to relevant resources to address client needs.
- Conduct community outreach to inform and recruit program participants.
- Complete client intake processes and comprehensively assess client needs, strengths, barriers and eligibility for various programs, both within and outside AFAHO.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of supportive service plans, mobilizing resources (ex: healthcare, housing, legal, benefit programs, etc.) as needed to achieve expected goals within the desired timeframe.
- Provide personalized support needed to mitigate barriers and facilitate client retention in care. • Accompany clients to appointments to provide language interpretation, advocacy, and perform home visits as needed.
- Facilitate regular review of client progress and establish appropriate discharge planning processes.
- Educate and counsel clients on health-related topics.
- Assist in organizing and facilitating health education and health promotion events. • Create and maintain accurate and comprehensive documentation of services. • Interact with insurance companies and pharmacies to ensure timely access to medications. • Assist in developing and possibly translating health information materials.
- Process medical referrals on an as-needed basis.
- Represent organization at relevant meetings and events.
- Maintain open communication with co-workers, supervisors and outside stakeholders to ensure programs assigned are running smoothly.
- Prepare and submit data and narrative reports as required
- Participate in evening and week-end activities as needed, including local, regional and national trainings
- Provide other administrative and programmatic support as required
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (social work, public health, health education etc) required. • Fluency in English and another African / Caribbean language required.
- Minimum of 2 years social work, community-based or other relevant professional experience. • Knowledge of and ability to navigate health and social services in the greater Philadelphia area. • Excellent written and verbal communication skills with proven ability to establish rapport quickly with others.
- Knowledge of client engagement procedures for assessing needs, identifying resources and making referrals and properly documenting client interactions.
- Able to effectively connect a client to appropriate internal and external programming. • Ability to work well independently and as part of a team-structure.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with African and/or Afro-Caribbean communities in Philadelphia. • Bi-lingual and bi-cultural abilities required.
- Comfortable engaging in community outreach.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance; talk or hear. The employee will occasionally climb stairs; stoop; kneel; crouch or crawl; taste or smell.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Operate related office equipment and use necessary tools.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include frequent reading and close vision; distance vision; color vision; peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Although work is primarily indoors, you will be required to travel outside to client and community locations.
- Travel in and around AFAHO’s service delivery area to support delivery of services to clients.
- Position may require occasional trips to attend conferences seminars, and meetings.
- Certain visits or work-related appointments might be scheduled outside of traditional work hours as necessary.
AFAHO’s management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.